The only remaining portal of the city’s medieval walls, originally guarded by La Coronela, can be seen on the first and third Sunday of every month, beginning on the 5th of April
Built in parallel with the expansion of Les Drassanes, beginning in 1378, the Santa Madrona portal is the only surviving portal of the original medieval city walls. The gate, defended by a tower that was remodelled in 1664, is the only one that was saved during the demolition of the walls in the 19th century, along with a stretch of the walls that now intersects with El Paral·lel.
Throughout 2015, on the first and third Sunday of every month, the Barcelona Maritime Museum will open the portal, allowing access to the Baluart Gardens, which are located on top of the wall. The two spaces are the responsibility of the Historical Recreation Association of the Coronela de Barcelona, Coronela being the name given to the urban militias of the principal towns of Catalonia in the modern era and which were composed of militarised citizens from tradesmen’s associations. The Coronela de Barcelona consisted of 6 battalions and 48 companies and was prominent in the defence of the walled city during the War of Succession.
The initiative allows visitors to enter the garden area, which has been closed since 1993, and to contemplate the sculpture dedicated to Santa Madrona that crowns the portal. Legend has it that devotion to the saint began when a group of French merchants who were sailing towards Marseille with their wares were forced ashore by a violent storm.
Visit to the Santa Mardona Portal and the Baluart Gardens
When: from the 5th of April to the 20th of December 2015
Tickets: free entrace
Where: Santa Madrona Portal
More information here
Information about the event
- Leave a comment
- All comments