The aim of the Barcelona Culture Foundation, created in 2005, is to promote and foster culture in all its aspects, ensuring the promotion of cultural diversity, support for all types of actions and initiatives designed for the preservation, exhibition and dissemination of the cultural and artistic heritage, and the international projection of the Catalan language.
To achieve these aims, the Foundation can undertake a number of activities, including:
- The co-organisation, co-production and advice regarding the activities carried out by museums, archives, performance venues, auditoriums, libraries and other cultural centres.
- Support for the conservation, research, exhibition and dissemination of cultural, historical, scientific and artistic assets made available to the public.
- Collaboration in the conservation, restoration and improvement of cultural facilities, the organisation of festivals and popular culture events, publishing within the cultural sphere and carrying out activities designed for international promotion.
- The organisation of activities within the cultural sphere: shows, festivals, exhibitions, conferences, teaching activities, seminars and other similar kinds of activities.
- Generally speaking, the promotion of all types of actions that may impact on the culture of the city.
The Foundation does not have its own personnel. However, it does have a Board of Trustees which represents it, interprets the statues and approves the action programme and budgets.