Tag Archives: historical memory

Textile history and present day culture combine at La Farinera del Clot

13 June, 2016 | Barcelona People, Unknown City | Post a comment
01-molins dobles-fotoJAF

The city is full of old textile buildings which have been recuperated for new civic and cultural uses. These premises are the vestiges of industry which flourished from the 18th century onwards in the municipalities on the Barcelona plain, such as Sants, Gràcia, Sant Andreu de Palomar and Sant Martí de Provençals. At one of the corners in Pl. Glòries, where Gran Via meets Av. Meridiana, one of these old … Read more…

Pérez de Rozas, the city’s graphic chroniclers in the 20th century

20 November, 2015 | Barcelona People, Unknown City, Your City Council | Post a comment
11.+Milicians+al+carrer+Ample+durant+la+revolució+de+juliol+de+1936+AFB.+Pérez+de+Rozas

A large number of images requested by users of the Photographic Archive of Barcelona bear the same signature of Pérez de Rozas. This lineage of graphic reporters kept up with the city’s heartbeat on a daily basis and provided images over a period of almost 60 years. The exhibition ‘Pérez de Rozas. Crònica gràfica de Barcelona 1931-1954’ [Pérez de Rozas. A Chronicle of Barcelona in Images. 1931-1954] brings together a … Read more…

Shanty towns in Barcelona in the 20th century

10 November, 2015 | Barcelona People, Unknown City, Your City Council | Post a comment
1-turo rovira-restes barraques-fotoJAF

In 1990, the mayor at the time, Pasqual Maragall, struck the first sledgehammer blow in the demolition of the Francesc Alegre shanty town at the foot of the Turó de la Rovia mountain. That symbolic act signalled an end to Barcelona’s shanty towns, which had spread around various city neighbourhoods over the course of the 20th century. Thousands of people were born and lived in these informal city spaces. In … Read more…

The children’s library in Pl. Palmeres, the first in Sant Andreu

28 April, 2015 | Barcelona People, Unknown City | Post a comment
Foto de familia a la porta de la biblioteca-foto Fons JBSubirats

A provisional library located in the Pl. Palmeres, built during the Republican era, was used as a children’s library over a ten year period starting in 1934. During this period hundreds of youngsters used what was Sant Andreu’s first library. The Grup d’Arquitectes i Tècnics Catalans per al Progrés de l’Arquitectura Contemporània (GATCPAC) group created a project for a modular children’s library which in the Pl. Palmeres in the Sant … Read more…